Shelblog

I've moved to WordPress. Come see me at http://shelbisblog.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Shelbi's Theory About Stuff

Well, I've been thinking about this one for a while, and I've hesitated to write it, which means I'm being an idiot [that happens to me from time to time]. It's silly really, but sometimes I start thinking about what people will think of me, so I don't post what I really want to talk about.

But then reality sets in, and I say, "Get a freaking grip, girl! It's not like they burn people at the stake anymore [at least not in this country... Yet]. The CIA isn't gonna break down your door, you're a freaking housewife!"

And anyway, I don't think I really have a controversial bone in my body. Well, maybe the tip of my pinkie toe, that one's always had a mind of its own.

Okay, so here is my super non-scientific, semi-mystical philosophy on some stuff [I'm gettin' to it, keep your pants on!]

I believe in God, and while I don't have a problem with evolution, I don't think stuff just appeared and developed life on its own. I figure something had to make the first piece of dirt turn into a bacterium or whatever. But that's not what I'm getting at here.

Science has pretty much proven that we're all made out of the same stuff. I'm not a scientist, and I never memorized the periodic table, so I can't go into too much detail about that, because I really don't know what I'm talking about [comforting, isn't it?]. But anyway, everything on the planet is made from the elements, right?

I seem to remember something about carbon being involved in most [or all?] living things. But when you go past the elements, you get smaller stuff, and I think the smallest piece is the atom.

What gets me about the atom is that when you get that small, is it a solid? Or is it just energy? I'm basing my theory on the assumption that in our atoms, we're energy. So where did the energy come from?

My answer is, God. I imagine God taking some of his energy and causing the big bang. Then I think he directed things for however long it took, and eventually, man came onto the scene. I also believe that he gave the humans souls, or a spirit, which is another form of energy that is somehow housed in our bodies [that's what I imagine Genesis means when it says that God breathed life into Adam. He gave Adam a little something extra to go with his big brain and verbal skills.]

But fundamentally, we're all energy. Everything is energy. God's energy. Or divine energy, if you prefer. Oh yeah, isn't air made up of energy, too? If it is, then that means that everything is connected, the table, chair, trees, grass, dogs, and fish, you and me, us and the rest of the world.

We're made of energy, so what if our thoughts are energy? I think it's been proven with brain scans that something happens when we think and feel emotions, pain, and pleasure. Studies have also shown that when people pray for each other, they heal faster and other neat stuff, too. So if that's true, my thoughts/prayers can affect you. And yours can affect me.

I am also amazed at the fact that a lot of our medicines come from plants and animals [at least originally]. I think it's pretty neat that God created us all to be interdependent like that. But here's a thought. He put certain healing qualities into plants and animals, so why not air, sunlight, water, and earth? Hmm.

So when people talk about certain crystals or rocks having a specific energy, or certain herbs having healing properties, or meditation and visualization being able to change your perspective, or your energy, and in doing so, your life or health, is that really so farfetched?

Science calls those things the placebo effect, probably, but maybe there's something to it. My position is, just because I can't prove it, doesn't mean it isn't true. And also, just because it isn't in the literature [scientific journals, sacred texts, whatever] doesn't mean it isn't real.

The fact is, there are things we just can't explain, so we shouldn't assume that it isn't true just because it sounds weird, or we've never heard of it before.

One thing that has been absolutely fascinating to me is, as I've read books from other spiritual practices, I can see the parallels between it and the Bible. There are nuggets of truth in every religion. And I believe there isn't a 'perfect religion' out there. Not because God isn't capable of telling us the truth, but because we are incapable of understanding every aspect of who he is. I think that all [or at least most] religions illuminate some aspects of who our creator is, and what our relationship to him should be.

That's heresy to some [at least it is to the Abrahamic religions: Judaism, Muslim, {or is the religion called Islam, and the people Muslim?} and Christian]. I'm not trying to freak anybody out, but I really believe I'm on the right track here.

I can't figure it all out. Even the greatest minds won't ever get it all. But I want desperately to find as much of him as I can on this side of life, and I know enough to know that if I ever think I've really found out the absolute truth about who he is, I'm more clueless than the seeker who never finds a definitive answer.

'You will seek Me and find Me when you search for Me with all your heart.'

Jeremiah 29:13 [NASB]

I am seeking him with everything in me, so I'm clinging to the promise that I will find him.

5 Comments:

Blogger Krista Heiser said...

Hi! I found your blog through Paperback Writer. I loved the comment about getting giddy when someone posts a comment on your blog...I can so relate! lol

Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know I think it takes courage to put your belief system out here. Good for you! As I read through the post I kept nodding because I know I've often had simliar thoughts.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 7:22:00 AM  
Blogger Douglas Hoffman said...

Hi Shelbi. I'm at work & I can't log in to WordPress, so it'll be a while (tonight) before I can change your name.

Chem major here: although matter and energy are interconvertible, it takes an atomic weapon (or nuclear power plant) to see that in action. Matter and energy do have fundamental differences. However, the question, "What is the nature of matter" is still unanswered. We'd like to have a theory of everything, but we don't, yet.

My take on this has been, has always been, that science and religion do not cross paths. Nothing in science will ever disprove the existence of God. That remains a matter of faith.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:20:00 AM  
Blogger Shelbi said...

Hi Hedgehog, I've been reading your comments at Doug and Blue Gal's place, and I've been impressed. Thanks for the encouragement. Sometimes I scare myself, wondering if I'm heading off in the wrong direction in my faith.

But every step I take toward being more open minded about other religions is bathed in sincere prayer that God will guide me.

Krista,

Thanks for stopping by! I'm always excited to see new faces [or at least little blue links!] Come back any time.

Doug,

I agree completely that science will never prove or disprove the existence of God. I think this is mostly about me trying to reconcile the stuff I'm finding out about other religious practices [that ring true] with Christianity.

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind, but I am trying to figure out exactly what it is I believe.

I felt kinda silly about telling you about misspelling my name, but everytime I saw it, I kept thinking it was another Shelby, and that does strange things to my mind. [I think I have a Tigger complex... I'm the onliest one!]

Thanks for stopping by, everybody, the kids are banging on my door, so I gotta go.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 1:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job Shelbi! Without realizing it you summed up a lot of what Quantum Physics is now teaching us about how the world works. There is some more to it, and a lot of extra complexity, but Quantum Theory is showing that all physical matter is, at its smallest level, pure energy and that the energy is interconnected.

Now, here's something that is even harder to believe than Quantum Theory, but has been shown by experimentation to be true; peoples' thoughts (a type of energy) can affect the physical properties of matter through that interconnectivity.

I could write about this subject for hours on end, but I won't take up all your blog space.

So, even though you might feel crazy sometimes and others might tell you you're crazy sometimes, just remember that people once thought Columbus was crazy for thinking he could sail around the world.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:20:00 PM  
Blogger Shelbi said...

ROF, Welcome back! It's always good to hear from you and know you're still stopping by.

My maiden name was Kroos. It's German [they tell me] and it rhymes with gross [you can guess what my childhood was like].

No one ever pronounced it right. It was "Cruise," or "Crooss," But never Kroos with the long o. I always corrected people for some reason. I guess old habits die hard.

And I definitely know Doug didn't misspell it on purpose, so it was no big deal.

Matt! Welcome to the chaos of my brain, friend! Who knew I knew quantum physics?! Am I freakin' smart or what?

But seriously, I am interested in the studies and stuff you mentioned, so I'll be picking your brain at some point. I've got a whole slew of freaky ideas and theories, so I'm a little curious to find out which ones are actually true!

Hedgehog,

Thanks for the links and your very helpful attitude. I feel peaceful when I read one of your comments, so come back anytime.

I will check out your answer tomorrow, though, for now, I must have sleep.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 2:27:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home