Shelblog

I've moved to WordPress. Come see me at http://shelbisblog.wordpress.com/

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

Okie dokie folks! We just got back from a New Year's party where tons of fun was had by all participants [well, at least two of 'em had fun!] We greeted the 2006 with noise makers and sparkling cider [which was disgusting, but I'm not a fan of fruit juice without the nasty little bubbles, but the sparkly stuff... blech!]

Anyway, we had fun, and tomorrow we're going to Hubby's mom and sister's house to celebrate Christmas. Yeah, it's late, but we have to go to my family's sometime in the next week to do the Christmas thing, too.

George [aka Hubby, aka Steve, can you guess which one is his real name?] drove a tow truck for five years and rarely had a day off, so we got used to celebrating holidays and birthdays whenever, regardless of the date. To us, the day we celebrate isn't as important as spending time with family in honor of the holiday, so it's no big deal. You do whatcha gotta, you know?

Tonight was a good night, and hopefully tomorrow will be a good day [they usually are, we are one of the few couples in the world who have no troubles with our in-laws... words can't describe my thankfulness for that!].

So anyway, my angst from last night is on the back burner. I've joined a writing group called the Uber-Challenge, which was started by Jo Leigh. She said that all are welcome regardless of where they are in their careers, so I'm taking her at her word. I am looking forward to it, though. Being a stay at home mother of three, I don't get out much, so finding real life writing groups to join is difficult [I don't know if there is such a thing in this town].

I only have one, okay two resolutions this year. One is to lose the weight I've gained with having three kids [about 25 pounds since 1998]. It should be doable, if I get up off my bum and do it. I've decided that the time has come, though. I'm shedding a lot of old ideas, so why not some weight too, while I'm at it?

The other is to finish a novel. By finish, I mean writing the first draft and then editing the hell out of it until it's worth something [first drafts usually suck]. And then I will send out queries and partials and whatever else I need to do until it gets accepted somewhere [or until I run out of places to ask, in which case, I will put ms #1 away and finish ms #2 and start over with the queries... I'm not giving up. Ever.]

The word meter shall rise! Oh yes, I can feel the flood of words coming. 50,000 here I come!

Okay, gettin' loopy here.

Have a wonderful new year, friends. May the best of last year be the worst of this year for us all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home