Shelblog

I've moved to WordPress. Come see me at http://shelbisblog.wordpress.com/

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

And Sometimes, Wednesdays Are Good

Yes, it's true dear friends. I not only survived teaching, but enjoyed it. Most of the time, it's easier for me to love kids when I don't have to actually interact with them [horrid of me, I know, but I don't have a lot of patience, and when kids get crazy-rude, it drives me nuts!]

The kids were rowdy, but for the most part, it was because they were having fun. There's a difference between that and repeatedly ignoring directions and being rude to other kids and to the teacher. The deliberate disobedience as a power struggle is what drives me nuts. I hate getting into power struggles with kids because as the adult, I can't let them win. Ever. If they choose to discuss the matter with me, that's different, but deliberate 'I don't have to listen to you,' is fifteen shades of bad.

Thankfully, I didn't have any of that tonight, but I think it's because I genuinely care about them, and they know it. We played and got horrible-messy, but it was all in good fun, so I'm okay with that.

You know, when we first moved up here [about a year and a half ago], the children's directors asked me if I liked working with the kids. I was honest and said 'no.' My husband and I were the youth leaders in our church several years ago [when I was a brand new, never been to church before except for Vacation Bible School, Christian.] Hoo boy, was that awful! I still don't understand teens most of the time, [in my defense, I didn't get them when I was one, either.] But I am getting better.

Baby steps, baby steps, baby steps.

So, anyway, I left the church actually feeling better than when I arrived [and got an ever so slightly smug 'I had a feeling that might happen.' from the husband afterward. Grrr. If he wasn't so cute, I'd have to smack him.] That's kind of how it's supposed to go, so things are good.

Oh yeah, the furnace is fixed! Yay, George!! The estimates to replace the part were $150-$170, which was going to put a serious damper on Christmas shopping [no, I'm not done yet. I am one of the few women on the planet who hates shopping with a passion, so I put it off as long as possible!] But, hubby went to the service store with the broken part, and the guy there was able to find a little doo-hickey to replace the one that was broken, and voila!! We have heat!!

Remember last night when I said things always get better if you can hold on? They really do. So don't give up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home