Shelblog

I've moved to WordPress. Come see me at http://shelbisblog.wordpress.com/

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Forty Minutes, Thirteen Seconds and Counting...

That's how much time I'm giving myself to blog today. I made the kids lay down after lunch and I'm gonna write like crazy on this for 40 minutes and 13 seconds. Then I'm gonna write like crazy on my novel for, you guessed it, forty minutes and thirteen seconds.

Why forty minutes and thirteen seconds, you ask? Well, it's a rather mundane answer, but this is what it is. I pushed the wrong button by accident [hit the seconds button on the timer instead of the minutes button.] Yup. That's it. The magnificent secret behind the 40 minutes and 13 seconds.

I'm down to 38 minutes.

Okay, here's some dumb trivia for you. I read somewhere that Scientologists [what Tom Cruise is] believe that a delivery room should be completely quiet during a baby's birth to prevent undue stress on the baby. They also believe in no pain meds for mom during labor. Now here's the craziness of Tom Cruise that just cracks me up [and irritates the crap out of me].

He bought an ultrasound machine that he plans on using during Katie's pregnancy. I didn't read how often he plans on doing an ultrasound, but some research indicates that the baby can hear the ultrasound even though the sounds emitted cannot be heard by the mother or others in the room. In a five minute search, I found a few articles on this: here, here, and here are just a few, if you're interested.

Okay, now this is what annoys me about Mr. Cruise. Earlier this year, he blasted Brooke Shields about using antidepressants to treat her post-partum depression. He said that he knew all the history of these drugs and that they were dangerous and blah blah blah. And yet, in a five minute search of the internet, you can find half a million articles on whether ultrasound is safe for babies, whether they hear the ultrasound, etc.

Now granted, there are an equal number of articles saying ultrasound has negative effects on the baby [some say it can cause miscarriage in the first trimester, low birth weight, or premature labor], and articles that say that there is no known risk to mom or baby. I don't honestly know who's right, but it's pretty safe to say that the babies hear it.

Since Mr. Cruise believes that excess noise can traumatize a baby, and since he knows every thing there is to know about post-partum depression and how to treat it, and all the evils of antidepressant medications, you'd think he would have done some research on ultrasound procedures and potential risks to the baby [or the noise factor] before buying an ultrasound machine and using it on his own child.

Okay, they didn't say how often he plans on using the thing, but he bought it and put it in his house so 'he can keep an eye on the baby.' I think that's ridiculous.

And that, my friends, is my unasked for, and admittedly very biased opinion of Mr. Tom Cruise and the Ultrasound Machine.

Okay, I still have 20 minutes left, but I did pause it when I went searching for ultrasound stuff, so I'll sign off for now.

Blog Ya Later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home