Shelblog

I've moved to WordPress. Come see me at http://shelbisblog.wordpress.com/

Friday, December 09, 2005

An Interestng Evening

Okay, this is what I've been thinking about for months now, and I'm about to share it with you, dear friends.

Are you ready for this?

I don't know if I am or not.

Well, since I don't know how to do anything without jumping in with both feet, here goes.
I've been thinking a lot about other religious traditions and how they relate to me personally. I have tried to come at different religions with an open mind, but with a filter attached. The filter, of course, is the Bible.

I look at each belief, ritual or tradition and compare it to what the Bible says. If it is in direct conflict with what scripture says, I disregard it and move on to the next thing. If it is NOT in direct conflict with scripture, then I look at it and see if I can find a nugget of wisdom that I can use in my own life.

This is how I started experimenting with meditation, which has helped me to control my depression without medication [*note* this is anecdotal evidence only, I am NOT saying that everyone can cure their depression through meditation, but you could give it a try in addition to whatever you are currently doing.]

I think a lot of people tend to disregard and sometimes ridicule any and all religions besides their own, and in doing so, refuse to investigate, learn, or take seriously any traditions that come from other religions. This seems like a big mistake to me. I feel like all religions are a window to our Creator, albeit a warped and somewhat cloudy window [including Christianity]. I don't think any of us have it all right, but I do believe that Christianity holds a key that the other religions don't have.

That is Jesus as the Messiah, the Savior and the Key to a right relationship with God. That is the main difference between Christians and all the other religions. Christianity teaches that we aren't saved by what we do, but by believing that Jesus is the son of God and that he can save us from our own selfishness [sin].

By believing, we accept the gift of salvation and we are set free to live for a higher purpose. We are enabled to grow as close to God as we want to get. And, I believe, we are given a filter through which we can sift any theory, belief, or tradition that piques our interest.

My interests have a mystic bent to them, so I look into a lot of stuff that most people think is pure weirdness. I am fascinated by the 'supernatural' and by the power of the mind to affect every aspect of my life including [but not limited to] my physical health and wellbeing as well as my attitude about the things that occur in my life. What I think about matters and directly affects me in every way [and that's scriptural... what's that verse? 'Whatever is good... something something can't remember exactly something... think on these things.' Looks to me like God was saying focus on the good stuff, the important stuff, the positive stuff... because it matters.]

Some people look at the Bible as the only source for answers to every question or problem they have. While I agree that the Bible is an excellent resource and [aside from prayer] is my main source of wisdom for living, I am also willing to look into other religious or secular traditions for help.

God has used so many books by authors who aren't Christians to help me grow in Christ. I can't count the number of times I've been reading about positive thinking or meditation [or something else labeled 'weird' by my dearly beloved] and I suddenly remember a scripture that I've read a hundred times, but never got before.

Trying things that don't come specifically from Christian authors isn't for every one. To be honest, I haven't mentioned this to any of my Christian friends [until now *grin*] because I've worried that they would think I'm losing my faith, or becoming a freaky new-age-er or something equally as scary. It worries me what people will think, even as I write this. My own husband doesn't understand this particular quirk in my personality, either.

But I don't want to hide this anymore. Sometimes hiding the truth makes the secret a lot worse in your mind that it would be if you just told the world and got it out of your system. I'm kinda hoping that is the case here. I suppose I could be a heretic. But I doubt it. I love Jesus more than ever and not a day goes by that I don't thank Him for guiding me to things that will help me live a better life for Him.

I feel like I've rambled aimlessly, and haven't made much sense, but I'm posting this anyway. If anyone reads this and wants to comment, feel free.

Just click on comments at the bottom of this post and you should see a pop up where you can post. Friends who have my e-mail, let me know if it doesn't work and I'll try to tweak it again.

Blog ya later.

1 Comments:

Blogger lindsay said...

blablabla trying to post a comment.

Thursday, December 15, 2005 6:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home