Shelblog

I've moved to WordPress. Come see me at http://shelbisblog.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

PLA, Pathological Liars Anonymous

I found this story through Paperback Writer. It's a big, long article, six pages in fact, but basically it says [and backs up the allegation] that James Frey, author of A Million Little Pieces, made up large parts of his story.

If you don't watch Oprah, let me give you a brief idea of what it is. Frey wrote 'Pieces' as a memoir of his own drug addiction, criminal career, and trip to rehab. He says he did almost every kind of drug imaginable, including methamphetamine. He wrote about being an outcast in his town, about being angry and having multiple run-ins with the law.

The people over at The Smoking Gun did an excellent job going through several of Frey's stories and proving them false.

I remember reading that James Herriot claimed his stories were a memoir at some point, but were later proven to be fictionalized accounts [can't remember the details now, sorry].

I think I understand why Frey exaggerated his story and then claimed that it all happened to him, but that doesn't make it okay. I could be wrong, but I think it makes him a liar.

Seems like all he had to do was put a disclaimer somewhere in there that some of the details of the story had been changed so that people would know that it didn't all happen the way he wrote. Yes, it takes away some of the dramatic impact if you know the truth, but later on, when people find out which parts were fictionalized, you don't end up in the news being called a liar.

I can't say I'm surprised the story isn't completely true. I watched the Oprah show, and felt like his story was really outlandish in spots. I took it with a grain of salt, though, as I do most things these days.

No, I'm not surprised, just a little disappointed that he had the 'nads to write a bunch of lies, and didn't think he'd get caught. We always get caught eventually, don't we?

Okay, the two year old is screaming, so I gotta go.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh this guy makes us pathological liars look retarded. We are not stupid enough to write down these lies at all (except for this stupid guy) Iin fact, most can't catch a pathological liar in the act. This is mainly because we usually have a good enough memory to remember who we lied to about what. Plus, we can get ourselves to believe in our own lies. It is very complicated...but long stroy short we can practiacally replace memories while still barely remembering the truth. Some people are not smart enough or emotionally stable enough to train themselves to be as smooth of a liar as others. Oh yes, and most of us do not have the same brains as you. Thus, giving us less morals; which makes it to where we do not feel guilt at all after lying to loved ones. Simply put, we are very very different from you people, so dont expect us do act the same for you. We dont care about you at all, our lives revolve around ourselves naturally. Think of it mainly as a survival skill. We win.

Friday, June 12, 2009 12:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home